FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

JUST SHARING A PERSONAL MUSING ON STRATEGY FORMULATION:

"Strategy, at its heart, is always about positioning for future competitive advantage."
I can't recall who had said this or defined it as such.
Nevertheless, I have found it to be a valid statement.
Moreover, I know one thing for sure: 'Strategy' implies "thinking strategically about the future".
Let's see whether I can dissect it and explore where it will lead me to.
Strategy:
In military jargon, this is "generalship" or science of planning, directing and maneuvering large scale military forces into the most advantageous position, prior to actual engagement with enemy forces.
For me, it's actually a "mental model" for thinking about what I want to do in the future.
Dr Karl Pribram, of Stanford University, calls it an "image of achievement". Dr David Ingvar of Lund University in Sweden terms it as "memory of the future".

These findings from the two eminent brain scientists imply that man has the innate ability to "see" the future.
I strongly believe that whatever I think and do always happens thrice:
- first, as an "idea" or "concept" inside my head - psychologists call it "mental construct";
- secondly, as a plan when I write it down so that I can crystallise my thoughts about the "idea";

- thirdly & finally, as a physical reality when I put my "idea" to work according to the plan in the real world;
That's why it's always important to formulate a strategy in life.
For lay persons, it's "goal setting". For corporations, it's "strategic visioning".
Come to think of it, I reckon 'daydreaming', particularly in the case of kids, is also a form of strategy formulation, even though they don't actually understand it.

Surprisingly, adults do that too, even though they don't realise its power.
I also believe very strongly that everything is possible in life; it's just a question of strategy and dsicipline.
To formulate a strategy, I know these are the first things first:
- what do I want?
- where am I?
- where do I want to go?
Positioning:
For me, there are two important issues here.
First, there is this issue of currency: what do I have or possess at the moment?
To understand it, I need to do an internal audit of myself. A SWOT, to be more precise. A SWOT will generally provide me with information about what I would need as additional resources or support.
Next, there is the issue of relativity - a position relative to the confluence of various external forces acting on me as well as other people in &/or around my space, in one way or another.
A good way to look at external forces is to use the acronym TEMPLES to determine exactly what can affect or impact my strategy:
- technology;
- economics;
- money;
- political;
- legal aspects;
- ethical & ecological aspects;
- social-demographics;
To look at people in and/or around my space that have the greatest impact, strategy-wise, the best way is first, determine my particular role in each instance as I interact with them.
There is also the issue of perception in the eyes (and the mind) of people around me. This one is a little bit more complicated.
Future:
For me, this is a "time frame" or "scenario" some time - near or distant - ahead. It generally denotes an "unknown territory" - a place where I have not been before. I recall the tag line from the Star Trek TV series: "... to go where no man has gone before."
It's always important to think about the future. There is nothing much I can do about my past, although I can learn quite a lot from it. There is, nevertheless, a lot of stuff I can do in the present. This where my strategy - and plan of action - can come in.
Naturally, I would need insight about myself, my personal aspirations, my SWOT i.e. all the inputs from my understanding of 'Positioning'.
I also need some hindsight about what works well before, what resources I have, as well as foresight about what's out there, what's possible. Also, what-ifs, why nots. I also need a better view of the situation (BVS).
To have a better future, it's always important to explore it, think about it, plan for it and then put the plan to work, right now. In other words, I have to invent it.
Having a future scenario set in my mind, I reckon it's much easier for me to anticipate a lot of stuff that goes with it.
If I don't do that, some one else will do it for me, and I may not like it at all.
A "future" can also be the "edge" of my personal comfort zone.

According to Judith Barker, there is always danger in the comfort zone.
Sometimes, I need to push myself to the edge i.e. to stretch myself - to enter the stretch zone, so to speak.
Opportunities - more specifically, possibilities to grow, to learn, etc. - are abundant in the stretch zone.
Competitive:
This term naturally has some negative connotations.
For me, the best way to look at it is to always consider doing things better than what I have done before, instead of comparing myself with others.
It also means I should always leverage on what I know and what I have.

A lot of personal creativity is needed here, too.
I think it was Billy Joel, a famous singer, who said something like this:

"We don't have to be better than anybody; we just have to be the only one doing what we do."
Therefore, I must constantly strive to build on my existing competency. Life-long learning, especially learning new things, is one.
By the way, what are the personal as well professional competencies for the 21st century?
Advantage:
For me, this is, in essence, creating distinctions so that I am visibly different from the others.
Advantage can also mean "one step ahead of the competition".

It is important to take note that the competition does not sleep.
Stretching it further, advantage can also denote "putting myself on the toes" all the time. Be prepared - for oportunities as well as contingencies.

Continual improvement, too!
In fact, if I practise strategic thinking - with active and fluid use - all the time, I reckon I can sustain my competitive advantage in the long run.
I think it's also important to practise strategic foresight or future-casting.
That's all, folks!

No comments: