FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Friday, May 1, 2009

MEMORABLE QUOTE FROM THE MOVIES: THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE

Last night, while watching the romance comedy movie, 'Sleepness in Seattle', starring Tom Hanks (playing Sam Baldwin, an architect who had lost his wife to cancer) & Meg Ryan (playing Annie Reed, who was about to get married to someone else) on StarHub cable television, I was intrigued by one particular dialog which went as follows:

Jay (played by Rob Reiner as Sam's construction buddy): ". . . what do they call it when everything intersects?"

Sam: "The Bermuda Triangle."

In a nut shell, the movie was about Sam's son Jonah, who was looking for a new mother. So, when Jonah put his father on national radio, hundreds of women wrote to him. One of the women was Annie, who went to great lengths to meet Sam, who had meanwhile started to re-enter the dating game. Sparks flew when they met.

What has caught my fascination is not so much the movie, which of course has been entertaining to watch, to say the least, but a new perspective of creativity, which I would never have thought of.

That's to say, I did not see the Bermuda Triangle as an "intersection of ideas", metaphorically speaking.

I reckon Sam's response as I have outlined above brings me back to what I have written earlier: the 'Medici Effect' or "intersection of ideas".

'Innovation at the Verge' is also the other thing which is invariably connected to the foregoing topic.

Please read my earlier post entitled 'Ideas Build on Ideas'.

As I have always maintained, watching movies can really carry a dual-benefit: entertainment & learning/creativity.

No comments: