FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Thursday, July 8, 2010

ATTENTION PARENTS: WHAT KIDS & TEENS NEED TO SUCCEED

I love to surf the net, especially in the afternoons after my gym practice. One of my "stage coach stations", so to speak, is the Amazon online store.

Recently, I came across two books which I had read with gusto during the late nineties.

In fact, they were part of my store repertoire, when I was running my small but unique retail outlet, aptly called 'The Brain Resource" in the Central Business District, established from the early nineties to about mid-2005.

The books are:

- 'What Kids Need to Succeed', by Dr Peter Benson;

- 'What Teens Need to Succeed', by Dr Peter Benson;

I am glad that the books are still available at Amazon. As a matter, Dr Benson has written two more - newer - books, namely:

- 'Vision: Awakening Your Potential to Create a Better World';

- 'Sparks: How Parents can Ignite the Hidden Strengths in Teenagers';

which I have yet to procure & read.

What I love about the first two books is the positive "asset building" philosophy of Dr Peter Benson. To me, it is an essential component in developing self-efficacy & enhancing self-worth.

In a nut shell, he breaks it down to forty developmental assets - external as well as internal - which kids & teens would need in order to succeed in life, starting with family support.

For more information about the positive "asset building" philosophy, readers can go to Dr Benson's corporate website, which is a goldmine of information nuggets.

Dr Benson is a widely recognised authority in the field of creating success developments among adolescents.

For a quick overview of the 40 developmental assets, readers can go to this link to download the appropriate .pdf document.

No comments: