"... Leadership in the 21st century not only requires the ability to continuously manage crisis and change – but also the circular vision to see around, beneath and beyond the obvious in order to anticipate the unexpected before circumstances force your hand... "
Prof. Mintzberg introduced his beautiful concept of "strategy" or rather "strategic thinking" as "seeing", as illustrated below:
- Seeing ahead: planning ahead;
- Seeing behind: drawing lessons from the past;
- Seeing above: seeing the big picture;
- Seeing below: finding and understanding the root causes;
- Seeing beside: thinking laterally;
- Seeing beyond: expecting better futures with long range projections;
- Seeing through: following up and following through the vision.
However, according to him, this is not a recipe for strategic thinking but "seeing" is crucial to the formation of the strategic thinking process.