FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Saturday, June 20, 2009

IN SEARCH OF WORKING WISDOM

In my spare time, & in between stacks of serious non-fiction books, I generally like to read books which can be read in quick short bursts.

In this particularl blog, I like to mention about two of such books:

1) 'Wisdom, Inc. : 26 Business Virtues That Turn Ordinary People into Extraordinary Leaders', by Seth Godin;

2) 'Working Wisdom: A Guide to the Art and Strategy of Success at Work', by Patricia Monaghan;

In the case of the first book, which I had acquired at a used bookstore, I had actually read it quite some time back. I was partly influenced by business strategist Donald Mitchell's not-so-good review on Amazon, but I was curious about the the author, a sort of a marketing maverick.

Although I do share many of Donald's 'adverse comments' about this book, I did find some very intriguing anecdotes & interesting nuggets pertaining to:

- attention to detail;
- creativity;
- curiosity;
- focus;
- goals;
- inititiative;
- resourcefulness;
- self-motivation;
- strategy;
- vision;


The exercises under 'Toward Virtuosity' in these areas were great & fun, too.

I reckon this book is still a worthwhile read for professionals.

As for the second book, I was in some way simply attracted by the word 'wisdom' in the title.

Moreover, this book is also written in brisk, short bursts, so reading it is a real breeze.

Although the book is written as an instant oracular system, I did not follow the author's instructions. I didn't want to play with the suggested three quick tosses of coin.

Instead, I went straight into the jugular. I read through all the 200 shrewd strategies for success in one go during one weekend. I had a glass of ice-cold lemonade & a regular-sized packet of cashewnuts with me.

As a strategy manual, even though it is about the size of two cigarette packs laid side by side, it is fully packed with savvy 'advice' to help readers skilfuly master all of life's challenges. It is written in crisp language - clear, concise & succinct. As you read each 'advice', you may have to ponder a little.

For example, #189: The doorway is part of the Wall

"Opportunity often appears as part of the run of things. It is easily overlooked, for it does not stand apart or call attention to itself. What seems to be an obstacle, a limitation, contains within it the opportunity you want. Look carefully at that wall. Study it until it reveals its openings to you. The best opening goes through, not around, the limitations & challenges you perceive."

I had some illuminations & revelations while going through this pocket book, which I jot them down dutifully in the margins.

No comments: