FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Thursday, February 5, 2009

ARE YOU FUTURE-READY?

Start a Learning Journal, in which you record your evolution, where, at a minimum, ...

Every Day YOU:

• learn three new words

• read one new article

• write a paragraph on anything

• draw something (1) that is in front of you (2) from your imagination

• learn three items of general knowledge

• get three new ideas on how to improve something

• meet new people

• be kind to people, plants, animals, and to our planet

• think happy thoughts (say ‘I love you’ to the world)

• review all the items that you have recorded in your journal

• perform at least one good deed! and integrate the above steps into a business strategy for continual returns on innovation!

Ask yourself the following questions:

• In what ways am I a business innovator? What expertise have I gained? What tools am I equipped with?

• Do I have access to innovation role models? Are there any innovation senseis in my organisation who will nurture me, and help me to ignite innovation?

• Does my company culture encourage experimentation? If so, how feasible is it for me to get financial support to pursue my ideas? How many levels of bureaucracy would I have to go through?

• Is expertise in innovation a core component of my job description? Does a part of my compensation depend on my innovation performance?

• Do my organisation’s management processes support my efforts as an innovator, or hinder it?

• Can I confidently declare that my organisation has established an all-encompassing, corporate-wide innovation system?

If your answer is NO to any of these questions, start doing something about it!

[Excerpted from the 1st subscription issue of 'Igniting Innovation', in The Braindancer Series of bookazines, by Dilip Mukerjea. All images in this post are the intellectual property of Dilip Mukerjea.]

No comments: